Saturday, January 28, 2012

home improvement

We have several friends who live in our building and have 1-bedroom apartments like us.  When we first moved in it was fun to check out how people set up their apartments differently:  little touches they added to make their apartment cozy, how they arranged their furniture, etc.  One thing I noticed one night while we were at a friends' house was their pantry.  We have the same one...just a little tiny thing...but their's had shelves!  Our's was just a tall cavernous space with one measly shelf at the top.  It didn't even come all the way out to the door.  I wanted shelves too.  We called maintenance and asked if they could install some shelves in our pantry.  They couldn't.  So I ended up putting together the most pathetic make-shift shelves you have ever seen.
Now, before I show you pictures and you judge me for being the messiest person on earth...please know that this little pantry has been the thorn in my side since we moved in.  Okay, okay...I'm being a bit dramatic.  But it HAS bugged me.  A lot.  If you know me, you know I like things to be arranged neatly, in their place, and preferrably at a right angle.  It's the way I've always been.

Here is our pantry before (and no, I did not mess it up on purpose...this is really how it looks):



 Sooo ridiculously messy.  Who am I?

I finally decided that I'd had enough of the mess and I couldn't take it anymore.  My sweet husband went to Home Depot today and bought all the supplies needed to put in shelves.  He's not the handy-est of men (sorry babe), so I really appreciated him taking on this task.  I think he had fun!

The damage

My cute handyman...and his new drill!

The pantry AFTER:  a million trillion times better!

Finally, some order!

Everything fits!   With extra space!


It's amazing how much joy a few shelves can bring to me.  It's the simple things in life!  Thanks Curt!

No comments:

Post a Comment