Monday, April 18, 2011

Ummm...we're taking a class together!

I wrote this post a while ago and somehow never got around to posting it.  Tonight was our last class (sadface)....so I guess it's time to tell you about it!

That's right!  Curt and I are are currently taking New Testament Survey with Dr. Stephen Um (yes, the pun in the title was most definitely intended) on Monday nights.  Curt is taking the class for credit, while I am merely auditing (translation:  Curt has to do all the hard work, and I just get to read the books and listen in class).  It's a pretty good deal for me.

Gordon-Conwell has a great program in which spouses of students can audit one class per semester for free!  As one who loves all things related to school, learning, libraries, pencils, etc....I was thrilled.  It feels really good to be back in a classroom, listening to a really smart professor talk about things I can hardly wrap my brain around.  I am learning words like "septuagint" and "eschatological" and I actually know what they mean.  In short, I am LOVING it.

Our professor is the pastor of our church, Citylife, located in downtown Boston.  He has a heart for planting churches in the city and is an extremely gifted speaker and teacher.  We love that he's an academic as well as a pastor and are learning a lot from his class.  We've benefited from both his understanding of the history of Christianity as well as his relevant insights into issues the Church is dealing with today.  He challenges us to look at the Bible as a whole...as a "one plot storyline" that goes from Creation to the Fall to Redemption to New Creation as well as to view the whole of Scripture (Old and New Testament) in light of what Christ has done for us.

I wish I had a picture, but the class is sort of small and I didn't want to be that creepy girl who's trying not to look like she's taking a picture when she really is....

You can read more about Dr. Um here.....and there's a picture too!

No comments:

Post a Comment