Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas in the city

We've been venturing into the city for a few fun Christmas-y outings.  A few weeks ago we went with some friends in our building to see Handel's Messiah.  Curt and I had never been before and we had a great time.  It was fun to get dressed up and go to Symphony Hall. 

 Our group at Revere Beach, before getting on the T.  It was VERY cold and windy.  Why yes, that IS my new coat...thanks for noticing!

The performers at Symphony Hall


 One of my favorite Christmas traditions growing up was going to see the Richmond Ballet and the Richmond Symphony perform "The Nutcracker".  I would go with my sisters, my mom, and my grandma and it was something I always looked forward to every year.  As a dancer, I have a great appreciation for ballet and I LOVE to see a live performance.  I was bummed this year when I realized that I wasn't going to get to see the Richmond Ballet's performance, but I also realized that I had a great opportunity to see the Boston Ballet perform.  I checked into tickets and was immediately disappointed.  They were SUPER expensive....especially for our little budget and especially for 2 people.  Then the next day, Curt and I met up with my friend Kelly in Boston for dinner and she was telling me about how her friend could get discounted tickets for "The Nutcracker" from her work and asked if I wanted to go.  Yay!  God is so good! I got a discounted ticket AND we only had to buy 1 (which I'm sure Curt was overjoyed about b/c he doesn't exactly share my love for ballet).  Win-win!  I had a great time meeting Kelly's friends from Harvard and seeing the Boston Opera House...very fancy!!  Thanks again, Kel!

 Kelly and me

 The front hall of the Boston Opera House

 The girls

 Opening scene set

 The ceiling...it was beautiful.

 Sorry for the low lighting...no flashes allowed. :)


2 comments:

  1. So fun! I'm glad you're getting to enjoy so much of Boston. Have a merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Catherine! I have mixed feelings of joy and envy! What a wonderful time you're having in Boston! You look beautiful, as always, and we miss you at Ward. Relish every moment!
    Love ya!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete